Wednesday 21 February 2018

Faux Rust week - with Nikki K

Hi all,

Today is my turn, and it's Rust Week.  Now this is my favourite subject.  I'm forever taking photo's of Rust, painting Rust, making anything I can look rusty, I'm even thinking the hallway could maybe get a little rust effect in the new decorating scheme when I start..

Today though I've taken a second hand book box, it's a tiny little thing from a charity shop, and added Tando elements to make it a lovely little storage for my atc's.

The book box was fabric with roses on, I forgot to take a pic before I started, but I gave it a coat of Silver and stamped scratches all over.


On top of this, layers of washes of colour were added and some heated until they bubbled.  


I added more colours until I achieved a depth I was happy with.  Antiquing cream in green was added around the edges and in certain places and rubbed back with a very slightly damp cloth.  

The components I used were from the Industrial Elements kit, cogs, washers and bolts and a book plate.  These were given one of two rust treatments, one was Pyrrole Red and Black Antiquing Cream, followed by Green Antiquing Cream, both rubbed back between layers.  I tried out embellishments at this stage as well before the gluing. 


The other on the book plate and bottom cog is my very simple Rust technique, of just two colours, Raw Umber and Pyrrole Orange, applied liberally and just smooshing together as you paint.  While wet, heat with a heat gun until it bubbles in parts.  The top two cogs were already embossed with a lovely embossing powder and I received them in a stash swap, so I just added a little Quin Gold in area's to add to the effect.


The whole book was assembled and I gave a sentiment a wash of Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide and added under the book plate.  I finished the spine of the book with some Chalk Paint.  A little Black Antiquing Cream was also rubbed over in areas on the spine and rubbed back for definition.



I'd like to say thank you to Hannah my team mate for inspiring me today, and a shout out to France Papillon also as just sitting next to her at the weekend had a calming and inspiring effect on me, I haven't stopped painting since I got home.. 

Hope you can check out my other team mates work this week, there are some awesome makes!

Best Wishes,

Nikki K.
xxx

Products Used:

Industrial Elements Kit - Tando Creative.
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics : Metallic Silver, Quinacridone Gold, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Paynes Grey, Pyrrole Red, Pyrrole Orange, Sap Green.
DecoArt Media Antiquing Creams: Black, Green Patina.
DecoArt Media Ultra Matte Varnish.



8 comments:

inkybliss creations said...

Love it!
Lisa x

Scrapintheattic.com said...

Super cool, love that rust!!!x

Brenda Brown said...

Brilliant Nikki, pinned it xxx

Nikki K said...

Thankyou. Xx

Nikki K said...

Thanks Hun. Xx

Nikki K said...

Thankyou lovely :) xx

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

what can I say? Gorgeous, scrummy, brilliant .....you see where I'm at xxx

Redanne said...

Nikki, your book box cover is fabulous!!! Love it! xx